Monday, March 1, 2010

Monday Meditation: "You know what to do."

I’ve been thinking about the two major endeavors in my world currently: The collaborative service learning project in the Dominican Republic and the Community School project. In both of these, I’ve realized that I was stalled in part because I was feeling like I didn’t know how to proceed. I talked about this with Edmund. He gave me sage advice, as he so often does.

“You know what to do. You just need to make the calls.”

What he was saying was that, while I may not know what to do next, I know how to deal with that situation--that is, to go and find someone who DOES know what to do next. More importantly, he was subtly telling me that there was no need to take the weight of these projects all on my shoulders. He knows me well!

Today, then, I’m centering myself by thinking about how I know how to get the help I need. I know how to find the right kind of resources. I know how to trust in the strength, wisdom and experience of others and how to use their gifts to bring things about. I’m also thinking about a quote from Tricia’s blog that, opportunely, reminded me of my tendency to ignore all that is out there to support worthwhile efforts. The parenthetic is mine, but makes clear what I think is the intent of the passage:

"He who trusts (only) in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe." (Proverbs 28:26)

In what ways do you trust well in yourself? In what ways do you trust too much, or not enough?

No comments: