Sunday, November 27, 2011

Quotes of the Week: From the Archives

Even though it's been a while since I've posted them, I've been collecting quotes quite steadily for a year. Here are some I've set aside to share...

"I'm this close to rocking my Patriots snuggie to work tomorrow morning." Ashley, our new local television meteorologist, who is clearly a dyed-in-the-wool New Englander.

“Why would you even think that?” Karly, questioning why I was about to admonish her for socializing instead of practicing her French when I saw her pull up a chair to a classmate and get comfortable with a cup of tea.

“His success made him almost a bigger story than the World Cup itself. We may decide to give Paul his own small burial plot within our grounds and erect a modest permanent shrine. While this may seem a curious thing to do for a sea creature, Paul achieved such popularity during his short life that it may be deemed the most appropriate course of action.” Stefan Porwoll, manager of the Oberhausen Sea Life Center in Germany that housed Paul, the octopus that fascinated the world by correctly predicting results at this past summer’s World Cup soccer tournament.

“Yep.” Emily (RIP), after taking a random mouth guard from off the bench and putting it straight into her mouth to see if it was hers.

“Is there too much granola in this room for you?” Loris, questioning someone’s “hippie tolerance quotient”.

“I’m thinking of imposing an hourly limit.” Wifeness, on the number of questions asked by the children.

"Well, it's a rather complicated proccess. First, I go and get a paper plate, plastic knife, plastic fork, and napkin. I unpeel the entire banana and place it on a plate. Then I cut it up into tiny slices using the knife (and leave the banana on the plate still in its relative banana shape). Next, I proceed to pick up each slice of banana with my fork and consume it. In this manner of banana consumption I don't feel rushed by the peel and do not get my hands all yucky (of course, I have a napkin if that does happen.)" Joanna, on her particular method for enjoyng bananas.

“Do you have scissors and glue? I need to make fire.” Lindsay.

"GAAAARGHGHGH! That’s my noise of very frustration!" Ella.

“How do you say benefits?” One of the many seemingly random questions I receive during my classes that are assiduously ignored (in this case, because the whispered discussion I overheard that immediately preceded it involved the word 'friend').

“What if I know what the word is in Hebrew? Can I put that?” Jonah, during a Spanish exam.

“They smelled like past.” NiNi, describing the stuffed animals she recently discovered while poking around the attic.

“It's time for some thrilling heroics.” Jayne Cobb, from the series Firefly.

“I stopped a lot of balls. It hurt.” Jake, a first-grader, at the end of a first soccer match as a goalie.

Happy week, everyone!

No comments: