Thursday, February 18, 2010

Zero-dark-thirty, redux…

I’m going to say it right here: I have done nothing of worth in the way of training since last fall. Nothing. I'm also going to own that I can see quite clearly the consequences of this when I look in the mirror. Add to this the standard issues I have with weight gain and inactivity during the dark time, and it is inevitable that I should step on the scale and say, “Well, that didn’t take long.”

And so, for the second time since January, I am back on the horse (or bike, as the case may be) and working to reestablish the habit of daily exercise I need to shed some pounds and get back to some semblance of competitive fitness for the events I want to do this year. Today (as most days) will start at 5:15, so I have time to get up and get to the Y or get outside for a run. This gives me the time I need to get a workout in and still have adequate time to get stuff ready for school. During the afternoon or evening, I will add another workout such as a bike ride or weights (the bike training has to be done in the evening this time of year because the sound of the trainer carries down to the apartment, and we don’t want to disturb our wonderful tenant). Not every day will be double session, but most will be because I have ground to make up. I’ve eaten and slacked my way nearly out of my jeans! Sigh.

I’m seeing light at 6:30 now, which leaves me feeling like the dark time is nearly past. It’s not as cold in the mornings of late, either. Although there is now a coating of snow on the ground, it shouldn’t last but a couple of days. I’m looking for anything at this point to help raise my enthusiasm. I need as much inspiration and positive stimulation as I can manage. 5:15 is a little earlier in the morning than I’m used to.

Do you have to get back on the proverbial horse about something?

1 comment:

Kizz said...

I'm down 3.5lbs and this is only my 3rd weigh in. You'll be there in no time since you're working out a whole lot more than I. Good luck!