Thursday, August 16, 2007

Arse Domestica

We’re leaving for NH today, and I have a list of things to do around the house before we leave. It’s Thursday Thirteen, so here’s the (uninspired and mundane) list:

1-3. Loads of laundry. Two darks and a light. There’s also a basket of stsuff in the living room that has been patiently waiting to be folded. I’ll do that while…

4. Finishing Pan’s Labyrinth. I’ve been trying to watch it for, like, two weeks. It’s a fabulous movie, even if you don’t speak Spanish. The imagery is stunning and the story thoroughly engaging. I recommend it already, even though I haven’t seen all of it. You should know, though, if you don’t already, that it is NOT a film for children. It has an R rating for a reason. There is graphic violence that disturbed even me.

5. Finish World Language ordering for the fall. Being the computer literate one in my department, I get to put the supply order into the computer. A simple task, you might imagine. Well, it might be if people got all the information right. Very often, there are part numbers missing, incorrect page numbers and descriptions that hardly match what it is they’re ordering. It took me a good 3 hours to find all the pieces in just half of the list. I’m hoping the second half goes faster, because I still have to…

6. Cycle through the dishwasher and clean up the kitchen. While I’d love to rip the whole house apart, I’ll settle for what keeps things moving. I still need to make time to…

7. Pack. This takes all of 15 minutes for me, but I also need to pack up the toiletries. Then I can move on to…

8. The next part of the porch. I have two sections of railings done, and the stair rails replaced, but I can’t do any more until I repair the south corner post. It’s all rotted out on the bottom. I picked up lumber yesterday to prop up that part of the porch so I can repair the post, and I’m committed to getting it done before we leave. Once the repairs to the post are complete, I can finish the railings on that side. Then it’s up to Wifeness to paint everything. Before I can get started on this, though, I’ll need to…

9.Make a run to Home Depot. I broke two drill bits and a Phillips head driver yesterday, and I need to replace them to do what I need to. Since I’m destined for an outing, I’ll…

10. Clean out the car. We’re taking my car to NH, so I need to make room in the wayback for luggage. It’s not like that! I’ve been very good about keeping my car clean enough to entertain. Once soccer seasons starts, my car will undoubtedly turn into a gym locker on wheels but, for right now, it’s as it should be, smelling of vanilla and with room for passengers. Finally, there’s some computer work to do…

11. Replies to email. I can tell school is about to start because my Inbox has new messages every time I check it. I’m impressed at the amount of time I spend replying to email. It’s not a bad thing; it’s the most productive and convenient way to get all that stuff done. I wonder how long it would take me to do it all if I didn’t have the technology to help?

12. Get a soccer announcement on the schools’ website. Tryouts for the Main Squad are supposed to take place in two weeks. There’s a mailing going out this week sometime, but I need to make sure that the notice is out there for everyone to find. I have the game schedule to post there also, but I haven’t finalized it yet. That’ll have to wait a week.

13. Get this blog post out. At least I can check one item off the list!

3 comments:

Kizz said...

Can you actually get all that done today? If you do I will be mightily impressed. I couldn't get it all done in a day BEFORE I left the state.

Wayfarer said...

Sadly, I did not get all of it done. The porch (and the supporting run to HD) were left undone. I ran low on energy around 2pm, and wasn't convinced I'd be at a point where I could leave it when my womenfolk got home (we would need to leave shortly after they rolled in). Still, 11 of 13 ain't bad.

The porch is nagging at me, though. I really want to get that off my plate because it stands to keep adding time and energy (not to mention cost) as it goes. It's already 2 full days and several hundred dollars over budget as it is, and I'm running short on time to deal with it.

Kizz said...

From the sound of S's blog you've got your bit done now, so that's good!