Tuesday, March 13, 2007

10 Things Tuesday—Discoveries

I’m sorry I haven’t posted in a while. Last week was a reporting week at school, which means a lot of correcting, reviewing of attendance and writing of narrative so the students know if they’re performance is not up to snuff.

I’ve decided to review 10 things I’ve discovered in the past week:

1. I can run 5k in under 30 minutes. I’m very excited about this because it means there’s a chance that a triathlon in August won’t be the very death of me. I want my 5k time down to 27 minutes before I start adding distance. Now that the weather is steadily above freezing, I’ll be able to run more than once or twice a week. I’m hoping to be at a 10k distance by May.

2. I like Lily Allen. I watched a recent rerun of Saturday Night Live, where she was the musical guest. I had never heard her music before, and I found I really liked it. I’m not a big fan of emo/pop, but there’s something about it Lily’s music that I enjoy.

3. Hairballs the size of a child's fist, when lodged deep in the tub drain, are surprisingly tenacious.

4. Daylight Saving Time, when it comes this early in the spring makes it hard to get up in the morning because it’s dark again. When it’s light at 6:30, I can get up. When it turned dark again so suddenly, my body thought it was winter and went into hibernation mode. Even with this issue, I still like DST because the extra light means I can do things outside after supper. (Light = Good)

5. It’s "Daylight Saving Time", Not "Savings". There’s no “s”.

6. A softball left in a parking lot, when run over by a car, can squirt out with quite a bit of speed, but will not still not smash a windshield.

7. I do just fine eating just half a bagel for breakfast as I do with a whole one. I’ll have to eat an apple before lunch, but my body has taken quite well to smaller breakfasts of late.

8. I am the only person living at Wayfarer House, upstairs or downstairs, who can blink both eyes independently.

9. Mbungo makes people nervous, but that doesn’t keep them from stealing his clothes.

10. My students will work harder to prepare for an exam if they know that it will come in the form of a game, and that chocolate will be involved. It remains to be seen if they will actually perform better when this is the case, but I’ll post the results next week after they’ve taken it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes - it's Daylight SAVING Time - no 's,' but I still hate the first week of it...

I did not know about the blinking thing. I can blink independently, as can every member of the Chili household.

I also did not know that kids steal Mbungo's clothes. That made me laugh out loud.

Finally - DUH! EVERYONE works harder if there's chocolate involved!

Wayfarer said...

Everyone wonders why Mbungo looks angry all the time. It's because he's standing there all nekkid! It's cold in my room!

As to the chocolate, I'm not especially partial to sweets so I tend not to consider it as a reward like my students do. Offer me fresh bread, warm out of the oven, with butter and jelly, though, and I'm yours for life!