Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 15: What is my biggest accomplishment?

*Note: I've shifted around my prompts a bit to accommodate for being really busy and kind of sick (some children who will remain nameless have given me their virus.)

ac•com•plish•ment/əˈkɒmplɪʃmənt/ noun

1. An act or instance of carrying into effect; fulfillment.

To date, I think this is my practice as an educator, but I don't see that as the finished product. The ultimate work, the masterpiece (I hope) will be the Community School.

2. Something done admirably or creditably.

My parents have told me that they were very proud of how I've grown up. I'll take credit of this on their behalf, but I recognize that they paved the way for me to become who I am. Despite not really having any idea what they were doing, they managed to raise children with a solid foundation of morals, a good sense of self and a drive to do well and right in all things. I had to make the choices, but they set me on the path.

3. Anything accomplished; deed; achievement.

I have two degrees, both of which are of my own design and have significance to my life on a daily basis. I earned them (and kicked ass in the process) because I was motivated to learn and grow, and because I knew they would have value to me for many, many years. I do not have my diplomas hanging on the wall, but they are representative of some very important, meaningful effort and I am proud of what they symbolize.

No comments: