Tuesday, October 26, 2010

10 Things Tuesday: Lines Unbidden

I was reading something from a student yesterday that contained the phrase, “...then he did something unexpected...” No sooner did I read that line than, into my head, unbidden, came the phrase, “...and then something happened the Ring did not expect.”

Have you ever had that happen to you?

I mean, there I was just minding my own business and -- Pow! Right out of nowhere it came and, once it was in there, it was all I could think about. It got so bad that I was nearly to the point of loading up The Fellowship of the Ring just to watch that part so I could get it out of my head.

This got me to thinking of other such lines or quotes from movies that come into my brain like that. Once I started thinking about it, I realized there were quite a few. I've picked 10 from among them to share. Some of them are from movies you probably know. Others, maybe not. Test yourself! I’ll give a prize to someone who gets them all (don’t ask me what, though).

1. This pops into my head every single time my wife starts the blender for her smoothie in the morning.

“Oh, yeah. You blend.”

2. How many times do you tell kids to watch what they’re doing? Very often, this line follows such an admonition on my part. (and it comes with a particular Chicagoan accent)

“You’re being careful, aren’t you.”

3. It doesn’t happen often that I lose my keys anymore, but every time I go looking for them this plays in my head. Maybe it’s an unconscious incentive to find them quickly.

“Haven't you ever lost your keys, Dr. Bronx?

4. Although not strictly from movies, this quote often comes into my brain with the image of pointy ears and a raised eyebrow.

“Fascinating.”

5. No one from the generation of my students recognizes this quote when we’re playing games like Pictionary, but I’m reminded of it a lot.

“Baby fish mouth! Baby fish mouth!”

6. I don’t know why, but I hear this in my head a lot whenever my students come into the classroom sniveling about their weekly exam. Perhaps it’s because it’s said in a snivelly voice.

“But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!”

7. This quote follows any song by the Rolling Stones, but also any time someone says something unintelligible to me twice in a row.

“Speak English, Mick!”

8. Related to #7, this pops up whenever I can’t hear someone well, even after they’ve repeated themselves. It’s best repeated with an Hispanic accent.

“Ah, Jonathan! You sound so far away!”

9. Back when I had Max on my soccer team, this quote came to mind every time I yelled to him from across the soccer field. I don’t have Max now, but it still comes regularly when I’m trying to get someone’s attention during a game, especially (and for no particular reason) during corner kicks.

“Max! Follow that frog.” [Car zooms off ...] “Max!” [Brakes screech. Car reverses...] “Follow that frog, with me in the car!”

10. Finally, before many endeavors runs perhaps the most famous lines ever uttered from Billy Crystal and Carol Kane.

“Bye bye, boys!”
“Have fun storming the castle!”
[whispering] “Do you think it’ll work?”
[whispering] “It would take a miracle.”
“Buh bye!”

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just today, I had this pop into my head upon seeing someone listed as "unaffiliated" on a list.

I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated.

Diane Echlin said...

Good grief, I could only get # 7 (Jumping Jack Flash with Whoopie Goldberg) and # 10 (Princes Bride).

Recently I was asked to do a reading at a wedding. I resisted the urge to say (in the correct voice), "Marriage....marriage is what brings us togethuhhhhhh....today....." :D

Similar to your experience, I have a song for every occasion. Sometimes its the lyrics as written, sometimes I have to bend them to my will a bit. Always Extemporaneous.

Mrs. Chili said...

I got 1, 4, 5, 7, and 10.

Suzanne said...

Okay, here goes...

1 - My Cousin Vinny ("You think I'm hostile now, just wait til we get home!")
2 - Running Scared
3 - Medicine Man
4 - Mr. Spock (Myself, I prefer McCoy - "Damn it, Jim! I'm a doctor, not an astrophysicist!")
5 - When Harry Met Sally ("Oh, and 'Baby fish mouth' is sweeping the nation?")
6 - Star Wars Episode IV
7 - Jumpin' Jack Flash ("I'm a little black woman in a big silver box!")
8 - Gotcha! (That one was hard!)
9 - The Muppet Movie
10 - The Princess Bride ("I'm not a witch - I'm your wife!")

Speaking of which, does it count if I'm your wife? Perhaps it just makes me as big a movie geek as you are?