Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mechanics Should Not Be Comedians

I brought my car in last week to get the oil changed, and to figure out where the antifreeze was leaking from. You can smell it burning if you’re idling. It’s not pouring out of the car, but it’s good to know the details of such a thing.

Our mechanic, the classic definition of a stoic New-Englander, came to me after the work was done to say, “I have good news and bad news.” This is not fair, because no mechanic will give good news that is better than the bad news. OK, that’s not true. I had it happen once, when my 4-Runner blew its head gasket. The mechanic said, “I have good news and bad news.” I expected the worst. He said, “The bad news is that it’ll cost about $1,400 to fix.” Damn! Then he said, “The good news is that it’s free.” THAT is good news that is better than the bad news (it turns out that it was covered under a factory warranty).

That didn’t happen this time. He just said, “The bad news is that it’ll cost about $1,400 to fix.” Damn, again!

Fast forward to today. I bring in Wifeness’ minivan in to get its oil changed. Our mechanic comes up to me and says, “Ummm…”

I don’t even get up out of the chair. “This isn’t good news, is it.”

“No.”

“How much is it going to cost.”

“Well, it won’t be $1,400.”

Is that a joke? Did you just make a joke?? I’m funding your vacation this summer, and you’re trying out your comedy routine! I couldn’t help laughing, though.

PS: It was $1,100. So much for the tax return.

No comments: