Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday Inbox

JRH: Isn't the feeling of running farther than you've ever run before neat?

A lot of people look at me like I’m nuts for saying it, but I feel totally empowered when I stretch the bounds of my physical self. In the past couple of years, I’ve ridden 400 miles on a bike, done an Olympic distance triathlon and run more than 10k for the first time ever. Suffering through the pain (and let’s be clear, there is pain), the doubt and the other demons that are part of testing yourself in any endeavor, you appreciate all the more the moment that you see the finish, knowing that you’re going to make it. It’s awesome!

Chili: The security of knowing that I can open a cabinet (or the fridge or the armrest) and find what I need is comforting to me, and maintaining this order is one of the challenges of living in a family.

OMG! It drives me nuts that our house is in a constant state of fluctuation. I recognize that it is the way of things in a house in New England that has one more person than it’s designed for (a teenager, no less), two elementary school age children and copious visitors nearly every weekend, but I have to say that there are times when I would just like the mudroom to stay organized, or to not have to take every last bit of plastic out of the tupperware drawer to find the lid for the one container that I need.

Kizz: I celebrated [Chinese New Year] (a little late) last night by ordering WAY too much Chinese food and re-watching the Inauguration.

I watched it once, then listened to Obama’s speech a second time because my girls wanted to hear it. I thought it was a good speech, but not earth shaking, which was ok given the circumstances of his appointment. I think he understood that this was not the time for the rah-rah speech, but the “we’re in a hole and we have some work to do” speech. That’s certainly my assessment of our situation.

Chili: I have no book suggestions. Sorry...

Really?? You were the one person I was counting on! Damn it! Now I’m going to have to do my own homework...

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I love the idea of an inbox. I might steal it.

I'm sorry about the book, but you put quite a few specific criteria on there and I couldn't think of a selection that met all your requirements.

You HAVE a mudroom. I have a too-small hallway that it a constant choke-point for the family coming in all at once. It's worse in the winter, when we've GOT TO CLOSE THE DOOR; WE'RE NOT HEATING THE GARAGE, YOU KNOW!! Ugh. For as much as I adore my home, and for as much as I DESPISE the chaos of remodeling, that's the one thing I'd change in a HEARTBEAT if offered the chance.

JRH said...

Alright, alright! Since I couldn't find THE book to recommend, I didn't suggest anything. HOWEVER since your criteria seemed oddly similiar to my own AND since Chili didn't come through, I'll toss some out.

Inspiring: Here If You Need Me by Kate Braestrop
Page Turner: Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane or (this one I just bought but haven't read) Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan
Probably Won't *Inform* Your Foster Work (which I want to know more about) But Still Tangential; Inspiring too: Love in the Driest Season by Neely Tucker